Kotak Securities Limited is a stockbroking and distribution subsidiary of Kotak Mahindra Bank and was established in the year 1994. With more than 13.59 lakhs of customers, 1329 branches, satellite offices and franchisees spread across 367 cities of India, and more than 5 lakh trades per day, Kotak Securities Limited is one of the largest brokerage and distribution firm of the country.
Kotak Securities Review 2020 discusses the achievements of one of the leading stock broking companies in India and its unorthodox approach to introducing new ideas and technologies. Hence, the brokerage firm has been well respected and renowned full-service Brokerage Company of the country.
Kotak Securities was the first broking firm in India to introduce Mobile Stock Trading App to help you keep a track of all your investments on the go. They were the first to introduce Margin finance for online stock trading, investing in Mutual funds and IPOs through phone, AutoInvest feature – a systematic investment plan in mutual funds and equities, and SMS alerts before the execution of depository transactions.
The broking firm is a corporate member of NSE and BSE and depository participant with NSDL and CDSL. Along with the online trading, Kotak securities offers various secondary market broking services, such as cash equity, equity and currency derivative, mutual fund, initial public offering, exchange trading fund, bond, gold exchange trading fund, stock lending and borrowing mechanism, and future.
Kotak Securities has received a number of awards and accolades for its tremendous efforts.
- Best Broker of India by FinanceAsia Country awards in 2019
- Gold at ACEF for Email Marketing and successful use of Technology
- Bronze at IAMAI in 2018 in the category “ Best Omni Channel Campaign Management and Marketing Automation”
- Silver at ACEF for Data-driven marketing
- At the Machine Learning conference in 2018, Kotak Securities was Awarded “Early Adopters of Analytics” for extensively using analytics in client management
- Best Broker by Triple A Asset Country Awards in the Best Advisors South Asia Category
- NSDL Star Performer Award in category “Top Performer in New Accounts Opened – (Non- Bank) – 1st Position in the year 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 to name a few
To be a part of Award Winning Broking House CLICK HERE!
Why invest with Kotak Securities?
As mentioned before, Kotak Securities is the first broking house to have launched a mobile stock trading app which helps the investors to keep a track of their investments. Also, it began the facility of margin finance for online stock trading. Along with the above, it has also pioneered investment in IPO and mutual funds over the phone and sending SMS alerts before the execution of depository transactions.
Kotak Securities Online Trading Platforms
Kotak Securities is well advanced on the technical front, which is because they have invested heavily in technology. Kotak Securities offers different platforms to their customers
● Website Trading – It allows traders/investors to trade/invest via Kotak Securities’ official website – www.kotaksecurities.com.
● KEAT Pro X (Desktop Trading Terminal) – A full-fledged stock trading platform of Kotak Securities which provides up to date account information so that you can keep tabs on the performance of your portfolio. You can also get real-time stock recommendations, Live streaming of stock market data, create watchlists and allows you to trade at a very high speed. Watch Demo
● FastLane (Java Based Applet) – Customers can trade online, access your portfolio and watchlists through our light Java-based applet called FastLane. Watch Demo
● Kotak StockTrader (Mobile App) – It enables the customers to access the stock market right from your mobile handset. Using FastLane you can check your open positions, look at the status of the funds in your account and also view company reports and stock recommendations, execute trades, monitor portfolio and access Intraday charts. Watch Demo
● Call & Trade – For those customers who are not internet savvy can place the order over call to buy and sell equity assets like stocks, mutual funds, derivatives, IPOs, etc.
● Xtralite – It is extra light, super-fast trading website useful for customers who have a slow internet connection or people who are trading from remote locations with a limited internet connection.
● Trade Smart Derivatives – This application has been made to simplify derivatives trading which offers customized trading strategies and also helps in spotting unusual market activities from thousands of contracts.
● Trade Smart Insights – This application provides you with news, streams, recommendations, and ratings for stocks from all over the world.
● Trade Smart Trends – You can understand the underlying trend causing the market to move in bullish and bearish directions using this application helping you place better trades and make more profit.
OPEN AN ACCOUNT to experience Kotak Securities cutting edge Technology!
Types of Accounts
This facility lets a customer grow their wealth by investing in a fixed number of stocks or fixed amount of money at regular/fixed intervals in stocks and MFs. This can be considered as an alternative to mutual fund SIPs where you can invest only in Mutual funds but with the Auto Invest feature, you can invest in stocks and Mutual funds in a SIP format.
Benefits of AutoInvest:
- You can now easily invest in equities using SIPs.
- Invest in markets with a single instruction
- You can invest a fixed amount every month
- AutoInvest also ensures the power of compounding works in your favor by regularly reinvesting
Trinity Account [3-in-1 account]
Trinity account is a seamless investment platform that integrates a savings account, a Demat account and an online trading account into one great service.
Benefits of having a 3-in-1 account:
- Seamless, hassle-free trading
- Multiple accounts to trade from
- Margin against securities
- Trading even after market hours
- Extensive research options to guide your investment decisions
A dematerialized or Demat account is a facility that allows customers to hold shares in an electronic format. You need a Demat account before you start to trade on India’s stock exchanges.
Benefits of having a Demat account:
- Three-in-one account: Your equity, Demat and trading account linked to each other all in one place.
- Free Intraday Trading – No brokerage for intraday traders.
- Margin Facility – Borrow money to trade in shares that look tempting to you when you don’t have the money to buy them.
- Stock Trading mobile App: Get free access to Kotak’s mobile app for trading.
- Stock Research Reports: Get free research reports daily from Kotak’s top analyst
This account gives you the dual benefit of a share trading account and a Demat account rolled into one.
Benefits of having a 2-in-1 account:
- Choose your own Bank account and Brokerage plans
- High levels of encryption providing a secure trading environment
- Large volume trading with Super multiple features which provides exposure of more than 14 times the margin on a single trading day.
- Aftermarket orders option allows you to trade 24 x 7 x 365 days
- Trade online using KEAT Pro X- a high-speed trading software that allows you to trade and monitor your portfolio
- Call and trade facility available for those without access to apps
- Kotak Stock Trader Trade on the Move-through our FREE stock trading App Stock Trading App
- Access to best in class stock market research and analysis through Easy Equity reports and Easy Mutual Fund reports
Equity trading account
When you trade on the stock markets, you are securing your financial well-being. Equity trading account allows you to invest in equity, initial public offerings or IPOs, mutual funds, equity, and currency derivatives instruments.
Benefits of having an Equity Trading Account:
- Integrated platform: You need not open different accounts to trade in various securities. Kotak’s trading account will let you do just that.
- Multiple media: Through the equity trading account, you can place orders not just in person through a broker, but also online or on the phone.
- Expert analysis: Kotak Securities’ analyst team regularly publishes reports on the economy, select industries and companies that help you make informed investment decisions.
- Alerts: Kotak Securities regularly sends you research advice as well as market alerts through SMSes.
A linked account is essential, a 3-in-1 trading account that links your existing savings and Demat account with the partner bank and trading account at Kotak Securities.
Benefits of a Linked Account:
- 3-in-1 account
- Low brokerage
- Secure Trading
- Margin against Securities
- Aftermarket orders
Are you living outside India, but still want to play in the Indian stock markets? Here’s an account that lets you enjoy the triple benefits of a savings account, a Demat account and a trading account all in one place. So be it buying equities, futures or options or even doing some good old-fashioned research into the stock markets, Kotak Securities’ NRI account puts the power in your hands.
Benefits of NRI Account:
- Get research reports from Kotak’s dedicated team of research analysts.
- Get free guidance at the Kotak Securities Academy on equities, mutual funds, futures, options, and financial planning.
- Get SMS alerts whenever you make a transaction through your Kotak Account.
- You can also trade after market hours using aftermarket orders.
Qualified Foreign Investors (QFI)
If you reside outside India and like many other look at India as an interesting option for investment, here is your chance to invest in the ever buzzing financial markets of India. On 1 January 2012, the GOI issued a press note stating that Qualified Foreign Investors (QFIs) will now be allowed to invest in the equity shares of Indian companies.
If you are new to the equity markets and don’t know where to start, here is the Rajiv Gandhi Equity Savings Scheme or the RGESS which is an investment option that allows you to enjoy the benefits of equity investments along with tax exemptions up to Rs. 25,000.
The stock market is highly volatile. Investment in the market, therefore, requires time, knowledge, and constant monitoring. It also needs a solid experience and strong research to make the right decision. As a result, there are many who wish for an expert to help manage their investments. If you are one among them, then portfolio management services (PMS) is your answer.
Benefits of a PMS account:
- Transparency: Get detailed reasons and up to date alerts on the allocation and distribution of your funds.
- Scientific investment decisions: PMS provides a scientific and disciplined basis for investing.
- Expertise: PMS will provide you exclusive access to our research team and their reports.
Kotak Securities Research
Kotak Securities offers a wide range of in-depth equity research reports covering specific scrips, companies, sectors, the economy and more. Its technical, fundamental, derivative and currency derivative research reports offer deep insights into what, when and how much to buy or sell on the markets. It has created an online virtual knowledge bank for new investors, which is freely available on its website. Also, Kotak Securities provides daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly and annual stock market reports. Customers can also get the same insights on Kotak Securities’ social media page.
Kotak Securities has also taken an additional initiative of Smart Start interactive educational experience and also host seminars and webinars for its customers.
Get free Tips from Kotak Securities Know More
Account Opening Charges:
|Trading Account Opening Charges (One Time)||₹750|
|Trading Annual Maintenance Charges||0|
|Demat Account Opening Charges (One Time)||0|
|Demat Annual Maintenance Charges||₹600|
Kotak Securities Brokerage Options
Dynamic Brokerage Plan
This brokerage plan is for people who are willing to commit to a larger sum of money to trade through Kotak securities and hence get the benefit of cheaper brokerage rates, here is the detailed brokerage structure in detail for Intraday, Options & futures:
Cash Delivery Trading – Brokerage is Charged based on Monthly Volume of Transaction
|Monthly Volume||Brokerage Charges|
|Less than 1 Lakh||0.59%|
|1 – 5 Lakh||0.55%|
|5 – 10 Lakh||0.45%|
|10 – 20 Lakh||0.36%|
|20 – 60 Lakh||0.27%|
|60 lakh – 2 crore||0.23%|
|Greater than 2 crore||0.18%|
Cash Intraday Trading – Brokerage is Charged based on Monthly Volume of Transaction
|Monthly Volume||Brokerage Charges|
|Less than 25 Lakh||0.06%|
|More than 25 Lakh||0.05%|
Futures – Brokerage Details
|Monthly Volume (lacs)||Brokerage Application(Both Side)|
|< 25 lakh||0.06%|
|25 lakh – 2 crores||0.05%|
|2 crores – 5 crores||0.04%|
|> 5 crores||0.03%|
Futures Intraday – Brokerage Details
|Monthly Volume (lacs)||Brokerage Application(Both Side)||Brokerage Application(Both Side)|
|< 2 crore||0.07%||0.09%|
|> 2 crore||0.05%||0.07%|
Options – Brokerage applicable both sides
|Monthly Premium Volume||Intraday Brokerage||Settlement brokerages||Minimum Brokerage Per Lot (Intraday)|
|Upto 4 lakh||2.50%||2.50%||₹ 300|
|4-11 lakh||2.25%||2.50%||₹ 240|
|>11 lakh||1.80%||2.30%||₹ 180|
Currency Derivative – Brokerage Details (Applicable both sides)
|Monthly Volume Slab ( In Crs)||Currency Futures||Currency Options|
|0-3||0.04% or ₹ 20 per lot, whichever is higher||₹ 20 Per lot|
|3-8||0.036% or ₹ 18 per lot, whichever is higher||₹ 18 Per lot|
|8-15||0.030% or ₹ 15 per lot, whichever is higher||₹ 15 Per lot|
|15-30||0.02% or ₹ 10 per, whichever is higher||₹ 10 Per lot|
|>30||0.015% or ₹ 7.5 per lot, whichever is higher||₹ 7.5 Per lot|
Fixed Brokerage Plan:
Fixed Brokerage plan is for the newbies to the stock market and would like to test their strategies before investing in the market as most new traders don’t want to trade in higher volumes its best to have a fixed brokerage plan as other plans charge more brokerage for lower volume trades. Here is the brokerage structure below:
|Equity Intraday Square off (Both Sides)||0.05%|
|Futures (Both Sides)||0.05%|
|Options||Rs 300 Per Lot|
|Minimum Brokerage||4 paise for delivery and 3 paise for Intraday and Futures orders|
Note: For Cash delivery, a minimum brokerage is 0.04paisa per share and Intraday 0.03paisa per share or INR 21 per order executed, whichever is higher. For Equity futures, the minimum brokerage is 0.03 paisa per share subject to a maximum of 2.5% of the total contract value
Advance Brokerage Plan:
This plan is made for investors who trade consistently. Within this plan, clients have to pay fees in advance which range from ₹ 5000 to ₹ 200000. Based upon the fees paid brokerage is levied on the clients’ transactions. The best way to invest in this plan is to deposit a larger sum of money upfront so that the brokerage charges being applied is low. Here are the brokerage charges levied below:
Note: For Cash delivery, the minimum brokerage is 0.04 paisa per share and Intraday 0.03 paisa per share or INR 21 per order executed, whichever is higher. For Equity futures, the minimum brokerage is 0.03 paisa per share subject to a maximum of 2.5% of the total contract value
|Particulars||PLAN A||PLAN B||PLAN C||PLAN D|
|GST||( As applicable)||( As applicable)||( As applicable)||( As applicable)|
|Total Cheque Amount||Rs.5000 + GST||Rs.10,000 + GST||Rs.50,000 + GST||Rs.2,00,000 + GST|
|Validity||12 Months||12 Months||12 Months||12 Months|
|Options’||INR 225/- per lot||INR 225/- per lot||INR 150/- per lot||INR 150/- per lot|
|Currency Futures (Each Leg)||0.024% or INR 12 per lot, whichever is higher||0.020% or INR 10 per lot, whichever is higher||0.016% or INR 8 per lot, whichever is higher||0.016% or INR 8 per lot, whichever is higher|
|Currency Options (Each Leg)||INR 12||INR 10||INR 8||INR 8|
NRI Brokerage Plan:
NRI brokerage generally tends to be pretty exclusive and their brokerage and transaction costs tend to be on the higher side, however, Kotak securities offer brokerage rates that are competitive in the current market for NRIs. Here are the brokerage details of the plan below:
|Account Opening Charges||INR 3750|
|Brokerage||1% of the turnover OR 25 Paise per share, whichever is higher|
|Securities Transaction Tax (STT)||0.10%|
|Average Quarterly Balance in Savings||INR 10,000|
Average Quarterly Balance of INR 10,000 needs to be maintained in the Savings Account.
Complaints received in NSE:
This is the historical list of complaints about clients working with Kotak Securities Ltd:
|Exchange||Financial Year||Active Clients||Total Complaints|
If you want the detailed comparison of Total Complaints by customers against the broker, kindly Click on this link
Kotak Securities Review